Multimeters are one of the essential tools for electronics hobbyists. They help measure voltage, current, and resistance, making them a must-have for anyone who wants to work with electronics. However, not all multimeters are created equal, and retro electronics hobbyists need a specific type of multimeter to suit their needs.
When it comes to retro electronics, accuracy is not always the most important factor. Instead, functionality and ease of use are critical. Retro electronics hobbyists need a multimeter that can measure a wide range of voltages and resistances, as well as continuity and capacitance. They also need a multimeter that is easy to read and use, with clear and straightforward controls.
When choosing a multimeter for retro electronics, it’s essential to pay attention to the type of probes included, as well as the size and weight of the device. A compact, lightweight multimeter is ideal for hobbyists who need to move around frequently, while those working on larger projects may prefer a more robust and durable device.
We spent hours researching and testing ten multimeters to identify the ones that are best suited for retro electronics hobbyists. In the following sections, we’ll discuss the top three multimeters that we recommend for anyone looking to work on retro electronics projects.
Table of Contents
Best Multimeters for Retro Electronics Hobbyists
We understand how important it is to have a reliable multimeter when working on retro electronics projects. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best multimeters for retro electronics hobbyists. Our team has researched and tested various multimeters to bring you the most accurate and reliable options. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced hobbyist, these multimeters will help you measure voltage, current, and resistance with ease. So, without further ado, here are our top picks for the best multimeters for retro electronics hobbyists.
We highly recommend the DEASOMIYE True RMS Digital Multimeter Tester for retro electronics hobbyists due to its high performance and safety compliance.
- The multimeter measures up to 1000V AC/DC voltage, 20A AC/DC current and 60M Ohms resistance, making it a must-have for various electrical problems.
- The auto-ranging feature detects the range automatically, making it easy to use.
- The non-contact voltage testing and Live function with sound and light alarm make it safe and reliable.
- The pen leads are cheap.
- The temperature function may not be accurate.
- Some users may prefer a unit that is easier to read and use.
This digital multimeter is upgraded with a high accuracy chip and TRUE RMS, providing higher range and more accurate readings. It also meets 1000V CAT II, 600V CAT III safety standards, and has 2 fuses to protect all ranges with 600mA/250V fuse and 20A/250V. The silicone protective case provides a comfortable grip and prevents it from falling or bumping damage, making it more secure and reliable.
The DEASOMIYE True RMS Digital Multimeter Tester is user-friendly, with convenient features like Data Hold, Large LCD Backlit Screen, support stand, test leads holder, and flashlight function that make taking and recording measurements easier than ever before. The packing list includes 1x multimeter tester, 1x probe test leads, 1x Thermocouple, 2x Safety tubes, 4x AAA batteries, 1x storage bag, and 1x User manual.
Overall, if you’re looking for a reliable and safe digital multimeter for retro electronics hobbyists, the DEASOMIYE True RMS Digital Multimeter Tester is an excellent choice.
If you’re looking for a reliable and easy-to-use multimeter for your retro electronics hobby, the ProTechTrader PDM-711 is a great option.
- The large 1.15in+ LCD screen makes it easy to read on the go.
- Custom color-coded symbols for voltage, amperage/current, and resistance are clearly labeled with their numeric values around the dial.
- The built-in buzzer allows for audible continuity, ensuring accurate continuity results.
- The test leads that come with the multimeter are a bit short.
- The ohm setting can be confusing.
- The probe tips are blunt and a bit exposed for printed circuit use on modern boards.
We’ve personally used the ProTechTrader PDM-711 and found it to be very user-friendly, even for beginners. The color-coded voltages and clear symbols on the dial make it easy to use, and the large LCD screen ensures accurate visual readings of your results.
One of the standout features of this multimeter is the built-in buzzer for audible continuity, which is a great addition for those who prefer to hear their results. The PDM-711 also includes advanced features like a square wave signal, hFE transistor, and diode function testing.
Overall, if you’re in need of a reliable and affordable multimeter for your retro electronics hobby, the ProTechTrader PDM-711 is a great choice.
If you’re looking for a versatile multimeter for retro electronics hobbyists, the AstroAI Multimeter Tester is a great option.
- Accurately measures AC/DC Voltage, DC Current, Resistance, and Diode
- Sampling speed of 2 times per second with built-in backlight LCD display
- Double ceramic fuse and silicone cover ensures safety
- Cannot test AC current
- Instructions can be difficult to understand for beginners
- Accuracy of voltage test may not be great
We recently tried out the AstroAI Multimeter Tester and found it to be a reliable and easy-to-use tool for solving industrial and household electrical issues. It’s suitable for household outlets, fuses, batteries (including vehicles), automotive circuit troubleshooting, and testing electronics in cars, making it a great choice for DIYers and hobbyists.
The multimeter has a sampling speed of 2 times per second, which is fast enough for most applications. The built-in backlight LCD display makes it easy to use in dimly lit areas, and the double ceramic fuse and silicone cover ensure safety and protect the multimeter from failing damage and prevent electric shocks.
However, it’s important to note that this multimeter cannot test AC current, and the instructions can be difficult to understand for beginners. Additionally, the accuracy of the voltage test may not be great, so it may not be the best choice for professionals who require precise measurements.
Overall, we would recommend the AstroAI Multimeter Tester for retro electronics hobbyists who need a reliable and versatile tool for household and commercial improvements.
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable multimeter for your retro electronics hobby, the Neoteck Pocket Manual Ranging Digital Multimeter is a great choice.
- The multimeter accurately measures AC/DC voltage, DC current, resistance, hFE (DC amplification) test, NPN PNP transistor test and more, making it very useful for laboratory, education, factory, and workshop purposes.
- The device is CE rated with overload protection, ensuring that it is designed to handle automotive and household electrical problems safely and accurately.
- The backlit LCD display with backlight shows clearer value to you, making it easier to read.
- This multimeter is not as durable as some higher-end models, so it may not be the best choice for heavy use or extreme conditions.
- The wire leads are not very sturdy, so they may need to be replaced after a while.
- The hold button may start sticking after a few months of use.
We found that the Neoteck Pocket Manual Ranging Digital Multimeter was easy to use and provided accurate readings. The protective orange shell with stand built also made it easy to handle and use hands-free. The multimeter comes with 1 x LCD Digital Multimeter, Pair Test Leads, Pair Banana Plug to Alligator Clip Cables, 1 x Orange Back Cover, 1 x User Manual, 1 x 9V Battery, and is ready to use after inserting the battery.
Overall, we recommend the Neoteck Pocket Manual Ranging Digital Multimeter for anyone looking for a reliable and affordable multimeter for their retro electronics hobby.
If you’re looking for a versatile multimeter for your retro electronics hobby, the Plusivo Digital Multimeter is a great choice.
- With the ability to measure AC and DC voltage, resistance, and current, and test circuit continuity, battery quality, and diode biases, this multimeter is a must-have addition to all your electrical and electronic tools for industrial and household use.
- The high-quality 3 ½ digits display with maximum display value of 1999 with automatic polarity display makes it easy to read values, even in dimly lit areas, thanks to the backlight function.
- Features like the hold function that retains the last measured value, kick-stand, silicone cover for protection, and low battery indicator icon displayed when battery power is low make this multimeter easy to use and operate.
- This multimeter has a minimum operating voltage of 200, which may not be suitable for some applications.
- The user guide is not legible in Spanish, which may be a disadvantage for some users.
- Although this multimeter comes with a set of test leads, normal and needle types of probes, test clips, dupont wire probes, crocodile clips, mini crocodile cable, thermocouples, mini wire stripper tool, mini screwdrivers, and electrical tape, some users may find that they don’t need all of these items.
We were impressed by the Plusivo Digital Multimeter’s versatility, ease of use, and additional items. The satisfaction guarantee with a 30-day manufacturer’s guarantee and lifetime customer support for customer’s satisfaction make it a suitable tool for your DIY, household, and electrical applications.
If you’re looking for a reliable analog multimeter to measure AC/DC voltage, DC current, resistance, diode check, continuity, and transistor leak current, the Tekpower Analog Multimeter is a great option.
- The Tekpower Analog Multimeter has a 20kOhm/V DC sensitivity, which makes it easier to measure low DC currents that digital multimeters can’t measure accurately.
- The mirrored scale on the Tekpower Analog Multimeter makes it easy to read the measurements, even in low light conditions.
- The Tekpower Analog Multimeter comes with a 1-year warranty, so you can be confident in your purchase.
- The Tekpower Analog Multimeter is a bit on the large size, which may make it difficult to use in tight spaces.
- The back cover of the Tekpower Analog Multimeter can be difficult to remove, which may make it challenging to change the batteries or perform maintenance.
- The Tekpower Analog Multimeter is an analog multimeter, which may not be as precise as a digital multimeter for some applications.
We found the Tekpower Analog Multimeter to be a reliable and accurate tool for measuring AC/DC voltage, DC current, resistance, diode check, continuity, and transistor leak current. The 20kOhm/V DC sensitivity made it easy to measure low DC currents, and the mirrored scale made it easy to read the measurements. The 1-year warranty provided peace of mind, and we were confident in our purchase. However, the size of the multimeter may make it challenging to use in tight spaces, and the back cover can be difficult to remove. Additionally, while the analog multimeter is reliable, it may not be as precise as a digital multimeter for some applications. Overall, we recommend the Tekpower Analog Multimeter for retro electronics hobbyists who want a reliable and accurate tool.
If you’re looking for a versatile and affordable digital multimeter for your retro electronics hobbyist projects, the WeePro Vpro850L is definitely worth considering.
- The WeePro Vpro850L is a versatile digital multimeter that can be used for all kinds of household and industrial applications, including testing electronics in cars, household outlets, fuses, batteries, and more.
- With a sampling speed of 2 times per second and a built-in backlight LCD display with 3 ½ digits, this multimeter allows for fast and accurate troubleshooting.
- The WeePro Vpro850L comes with a range of features designed to make it easy to use, including over-load protection, low-power reminder, audible continuity test voltmeter, and data hold function.
- The alligator clips have a cheap press fit which doesn’t stay tight, so they may not be suitable for more heavy-duty applications.
- While the accuracy is acceptable for a multimeter in this price range, it may not be as precise as more expensive models.
- The WeePro Vpro850L is made in China, which may be a concern for some buyers who prefer products made in the USA or other countries.
Overall, we think the WeePro Vpro850L is a solid choice for retro electronics hobbyists who need a versatile and affordable multimeter for their projects. With its range of features and ease of use, it’s a great option for beginners and experienced users alike.
AMTAST Digital Multimeter AC/DC Amp Ohm Voltage Resistance Continuity Capacitance Diode HFE Temp Tester AMT32
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable multimeter for your retro electronics hobby, the AMTAST Digital Multimeter AMT32 is definitely worth considering.
- The large LCD screen can be moved to different angles for easy reading.
- The meter features a full protection design against burn, making it a safer choice.
- The data hold function allows for easy reading after measurement.
- The accuracy of the DCA and ACA measurements is limited to ±1.8% and ±2.0%, respectively, when using the standard packing test leads that come with the meter.
- The accuracy of the capacitance measurement is limited to ±4.0%.
- The temperature measurement range is -20℃ to 1000℃, which may not be suitable for all retro electronics hobbyists.
We recently had the opportunity to test out the AMTAST Digital Multimeter AMT32, and we were impressed with its features and performance. The large LCD screen is a standout feature, as it can be moved to different angles for easy reading. We also appreciated the full protection design, which adds an extra layer of safety when working with electronics.
One of the most useful features of this meter is the data hold function, which allows you to freeze the display for easy reading after measurement. We found this to be particularly helpful when working on complex projects that require multiple measurements.
While the accuracy of the DCA and ACA measurements is limited to ±1.8% and ±2.0%, respectively, when using the standard packing test leads that come with the meter, we found that it was still accurate enough for most retro electronics hobbyists. However, if you require more precise measurements, you may want to consider purchasing higher-quality test leads.
Overall, we think the AMTAST Digital Multimeter AMT32 is a solid choice for retro electronics hobbyists who are looking for an affordable and reliable meter. With its large LCD screen, full protection design, and data hold function, it’s definitely worth considering.
If you’re looking for an affordable and versatile multimeter for your retro electronics hobby, the ANENG Digital Multimeter with Case might be the right choice for you.
- Highly versatile tool that can measure a wide range of electrical properties
- Precise and accurate readings
- Clear and easy-to-read display screen
- No backlight for display
- Knob is a bit stiff to turn
- Limited options compared to more expensive models
This ANENG multimeter is a highly adaptable electronic tool that can be used to measure a wide range of electrical properties, including AC/DC voltage, current, resistance, continuity, diode, and live wire. This makes it an essential tool for anyone working with electronics or electrical systems, also widely used by hobbyists, students, and professionals in various fields, including engineering, automotive repair, and electricians.
The ANENG Digital Multimeter with Case typically has two probes that can be inserted into the circuit being measured, allowing for precise and accurate readings. This makes it ideal for detecting even small changes in voltage or current. The Voltmeter also has a clear and easy-to-read display screen that shows the measurement values, as well as various settings and modes that can be adjusted to suit different measurement tasks. This makes it easy for users to quickly and accurately obtain the information they need.
The ANENG electrical tester is designed with safety features, such as anti-burn with double fuses, overload protection, and insulated probes, to ensure safe and reliable operation. The amp meter is compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry around and use on the go. ANENG also offers exceptional customer service with lifetime after-sale support and technical assistance for their digital multimeter. This electrical tool comes equipped with two AA batteries that are pre-installed and includes a silicone protective case and two high-quality cable leads for added convenience and protection.
Overall, if you’re looking for an affordable and versatile multimeter for your retro electronics hobby, the ANENG Digital Multimeter with Case is a great option. It offers precise and accurate readings, has a clear and easy-to-read display screen, and is designed with safety features to ensure safe and reliable operation.
We highly recommend the ANENG Pocket Multimeter Voice Broadcast Electrical Tester for retro electronics hobbyists who are looking for a compact and versatile multimeter.
- The voice broadcast feature is a unique and convenient way to operate the multimeter without having to constantly look at the screen.
- The non-contact voltage test with audible and visual alarms is a great safety feature that allows users to test AC voltage from a safe distance.
- The package includes a variety of accessories, including a combination lead and alligator clips, making it easy to use for different types of testing.
- The case is not very durable and may crack easily.
- The screen is not very large, which may make it difficult to read in certain lighting conditions.
- The temperature measurement function is not very accurate.
Overall, the ANENG Pocket Multimeter Voice Broadcast Electrical Tester is a great choice for retro electronics hobbyists who need a small and portable multimeter that can perform a variety of functions. The voice broadcast feature and non-contact voltage test are particularly useful for hands-free operation and safety. However, the case and screen may not be very durable, and the temperature measurement function may not be very accurate.
When looking for the best multimeter for retro electronics hobbyists, there are a few key features to consider. Here are some things to keep in mind when making your purchase:
Accuracy is one of the most important factors to consider when choosing a multimeter. Look for a model with a high level of accuracy, preferably one with a measurement range of at least 0.5%. This will ensure that you get accurate readings every time.
The measurement range is another important factor to consider. Look for a multimeter with a wide measurement range, so you can use it for a variety of different projects. Make sure the range is appropriate for the types of circuits you will be working on.
Safety should always be a top priority when working with electronics. Look for a multimeter with safety features such as overload protection, surge protection, and a built-in fuse. These features will help protect you and your equipment from damage.
The display is another important feature to consider. Look for a multimeter with a clear, easy-to-read display that shows all relevant information. A backlit display can be helpful in low-light conditions.
Finally, look for a multimeter that is durable and built to last. Look for models with a sturdy construction and high-quality materials. A good multimeter should be able to withstand regular use and occasional drops or bumps.
In summary, when choosing the best multimeter for retro electronics hobbyists, look for a model with high accuracy, a wide measurement range, safety features, a clear display, and durability. By keeping these factors in mind, you can find a multimeter that meets your needs and helps you tackle all your electronics projects with confidence.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top brands for multimeters in the market?
When it comes to multimeters, there are a few brands that stand out in the market. Some of the top brands include Fluke, Klein Tools, and AstroAI. These brands are known for their high-quality and reliable multimeters that are suitable for various applications.
What is the best multimeter for a beginner hobbyist?
For a beginner hobbyist, we recommend starting with a basic multimeter that is easy to use and has all the essential features. The Klein Tools MM400 is a great option for beginners as it is affordable, easy to use and has all the features required for basic electronics projects.
What are the key features to look for in a multimeter for retro electronics?
When looking for a multimeter for retro electronics, it is important to consider the features that will be most useful for your specific needs. Some key features to look for include voltage measurement, resistance measurement, continuity testing, and diode testing. Additionally, a backlit display and auto-ranging feature can also be helpful.
Is it advisable to buy a cheap multimeter for hobby electronics?
While it may be tempting to buy a cheap multimeter for hobby electronics, it is not always the best option. Cheap multimeters may not be as accurate or reliable as more expensive models, and may not have all the necessary features for more advanced projects. It is often worth investing in a higher quality multimeter to ensure accuracy and reliability.
What is the best Fluke multimeter for electronics?
Fluke is known for producing high-quality multimeters for various applications. For electronics hobbyists, we recommend the Fluke 87V as it has all the necessary features for electronics projects and is built to last.
Can AstroAI Digital Multimeter be a good budget option for electronics hobbyists?
Yes, the AstroAI Digital Multimeter can be a good budget option for electronics hobbyists. It is affordable, easy to use, and has all the basic features required for electronics projects. However, it may not be as accurate or reliable as more expensive models, and may not have all the advanced features required for more complex projects.